California Shines Bright in the Michelin Guide 2023
Six new one-star distinction restaurants, ten new Bib Gourmand recipients, four new Green Star recipients announced
Six California eateries received one MICHELIN Star for the first time at the MICHELIN Guide Revelation July 18 at the Chabot Space & Science Center in Oakland.
MICHELIN’s release of the fifth edition of the MICHELIN Guide California included a total of 614 restaurants. That total includes 15 Green Stars awarded for leadership in sustainability practices. California is home to 15 of only 17 Green Stars in North America.
The California guide is a statewide edition of the acclaimed global restaurant guide, which includes the globally recognized star designations, as well as hundreds of Bib Gourmand and Plate recommendations.
Restaurants included in the new guide hail from dozens of cities across California, including Los Angeles, Santa Monica, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, San Francisco, the San Francisco Peninsula, Oakland, Sacramento, Monterey, Santa Barbara, Napa Valley, Sonoma County, Palm Springs, Orange County and San Diego.
Among California’s distinctions:
• Six new one-star distinction restaurants, located in San Francisco, Calistoga, Carmel-by-the Sea, Long Beach and Oceanside
• 10 new Bib Gourmand recipients, which recognize eateries for great food at a great value
• Four new Green Star recipients, located in San Francisco, Long Beach, Oakland and Los Angeles
• Special awards presented to:
– Michelin Sommelier Award: John Haffey, Aubergine in Carmel-by-the-Sea
– Michelin Exceptional Cocktails Award: Austin Hennelly, Kato in Los Angeles
– Michelin Young Chef Award: Harrison Cheney, Sons & Daughters in San Francisco
– Michelin Outstanding Service Award: John Schafer, SingleThread in Healdsburg
All restaurants were reviewed and awarded according to Michelin’s proprietary and independent inspection and selection process.
Visit California President & CEO Caroline Beteta issued the following statement commending the restaurants and chefs. “California has always had a trendsetting dining scene, from our legendary chefs and cutting-edge restaurants to our abundance of local, fresh ingredients and a global flair reflective of our diverse culture. The MICHELIN Guide California further shines a spotlight on this one-of-a-kind culinary culture and provides global recognition for each chef and restaurant included.”
“From three-star restaurants to Bib Gourmands and the incredible Green Star restaurants leading in sustainable gastronomy, there is so much for visitors from around the world to experience, and taste, in the Golden State.”