• Germany forecasts tourism surge during UEFA Euro 2024
  • Modi urges toursits to spend 105 of their travel budget to purchase local goods
  • Kerala to undertake intiatives to promote the state as global meeting veue
  • Swiss cancels plans for domestic A340 this summer
  • Scandron receives DGCA logistics drone certificate
  • Air India, Tata Advanced System to invest INR 2,300cr in Karnataka
  • Plan is to bring Air India on the same level as Vistara: CEO

US allows tourist & business visa holders to apply for jobs

In a welcome move, the United States will allow individuals travelling to the country on a tourist or business visa to apply for new jobs and even give interviews, reports India Today.

“Many people have asked if they can look for a new job while in B-1 or B-2 status. The answer is, yes. Searching for employment and interviewing for a position are permissible B-1 or B-2 activities,” the US Citizenship and Immigration Services said in a series of tweets.

When non-immigrant workers are laid off, they can take various actions to remain in the country legally.
These include filing an application for a change of non-immigrant status, filing an application for adjustment of status, filing an application for a “compelling circumstances” employment authorisation document or be the beneficiary of a non-frivous petition to change employer.

The US federal agency said the maximum 60-day grace period to leave the country starts the day after termination of employment, which is typically determined based on the last day for which a salary or wage is paid.

“If one of these actions occurs within the up to 60-day grace period, the nonimmigrant’s period of authorized stay in the United States can exceed 60 days, even if they lose their previous non-immigrant status,” the USCIS said.
If the worker takes no action within the grace period, they and their dependents may then need to depart the United States within 60 days, or when their authorized validity period ends, whichever is shorter, it said.

At the same time, the USCIS said that before beginning any new employment, a petition and request for a change of status from B-1 or B-2 to an employment-authorized status must be approved, and the new status must take effect.
“Alternatively, if the change of status request is denied or the petition for new employment requested consular or port of entry notification, the individual must depart the US and be admitted in an employment-authorised classification before beginning new employment,” the USCIS added. (Source: India Today)

Read Previous

‘India is the second largest source market for student travel’

Read Next

DreamSetGo selected as official sub-distributor for Olympic Games Paris 2024 Hospitality Program

Most Popular

Download Magazine